Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Thai Pongal

Pongal.... one of the greatest Tamil-festivals.To me, pongal means a lot. Each year I used to wait eagerly for this festival.It reminds me of.... my childhood days when kids of my age group had so much to enjoy.There were a number of competitions for kids starting from running race to dancing contests. Kids in and around my home-village will be present the whole day with so much of enthusiasm. Me and my group of friends compete with each other to bag maximum number of prices but none of us bothered much about our failures. the days when the streets of my village were filled with colourful designs - kolams.My mom, myself and my sister would start to choose the kolams to be done well before the festival starts. On the day of Pongal, by 5 am my house would be surrounded with a lots of such designs. the most awaited part is maatu pongal - celebrating with our cattle. this year too I'm waiting with the same enthusiasm hoping to meet friends and family and have a good time, - those kids' competitions and those numerous kolams will be missing though.

1 comment:

  1. Wish we had a chance to participate like those days and win prizes and come home with so much pride ;)

    ReplyDelete